Christina is a dear friend of mine and she just sent me a text message saying:
I just asked a boy to prom and he said ‘YES’
In case you don’t already know me, I am not a 15 year old high school student and neither is Christina. However, there is going to be a prom for adults in Lansing on May 19th and every one is abuzz about who they are taking and how they are going to ask them. I am using every ounce of energy not to share some really good ideas people have.
As for Christina, it is a beautiful coincidence that the prom on May 19th is exactly 10 years and 1 day after her high school prom. To this day, she wished that she had the guts to ask her high school sweetheart (now husband) to prom when she was in high school. In a flurry of excitement she was giddy to ask him now that they are married, regardless of the fact that it is 10 years later. Just wait till you see what she will be wearing!
Let me back up a little bit and give you a little background on “Love through the Ages: A Prom for Adults“.
There is a group of beard enthusiasts in town and their love for facial hair has made our beautiful city the seat of the Great American Fierce Beard Organization (GAFBO). If you are confused about this leeway into the topic of facial hair, stick with me because it is about to make sense. A lot of people may say that facial here is back in fashion, but I would argue that “sexy never left”. GAFBO is collection of beautiful men and women; both bearded and un-bearded who put on unique events around Lansing to raise money for various charities. This time around, GAFBO is hosting a Prom for Adults to raise money for Potter Park Zoo.
If you are hearing about GAFBO for the first time, you might be having an “ah HA!” moment because the number of handsome men with facial hair around Lansing is much higher than the national average. Trust me, I am right about most things I say.
If you see an epic beard around this part of the State, it is likely they are a part of the GAFBO army and if they aren’t they should be.
Phew! This is a major digression and I need to get back on task about prom. A more dedicated post about GAFBO is definitely in order. Anyways, this prom is going to be out of this world and here are a few highlights:
- I am pretty biased because I love this woman but I am most excited about DJ Rachael spinning at this prom. YES, a MAJOR step up from your high school DJ. Furthermore, DJ Rachael’s set will be unlike anything you have ever heard before. In fact, she recently went on an iTunes shopping spree to compile music for prom. Just to give you a taste of what you might hear at prom; think cheddar cheese + DJ Rachel’s skillzzz + Elbow Pads + puffy shoulder pads + neon lights (not the band) + bass + beard fluff.
- GAFBO will be crowning a Prom King and a Prom Queen.
- There will be a cheese-tastic photo booth for prom photos.
- As they say on GAFBO’s blog post about this event “Formal attire required, ridiculous formal attire preferred.”
- There will also be really cool raffle prizes.
So, I hope I see you at prom. We would LOVE to hear how you ask out your significant others in the comments.
When: May 19th 2012
Where: Both stories of Gone Wired Cafe will be converted into a thumping prom venue.2021 East Michigan Avenue Lansing Charter Township, MI 48912 (Map)
Ticket price: $20 in advance, $25 cash only at the door. (remember: proceeds to go help Potter Park Zoo)
Get tickets: Here.